USA PRO CHALLENGE
For one week each year, cyclists and the many fans of the sport turn their attention to Colorado for the USA Pro Challenge. A group of Northern Colorado businesses, community members and cycling leaders worked together and won the bid, bringing Stage 6 of the 2013 race to our region. While the economic impact and associated spending is of benefit to us, more important is the positive media exposure on a statewide, national and international scale. Estimates from other destinations that have hosted USA Pro Challenge value the media impact anywhere from $2 to $4 million, publicity our community needs as we recover from the impacts of the High Park fire and other fires in Colorado.
What will the race look like in Stage 6, Loveland to Fort Collins?
The outskirts of Loveland will see the racers off as they spend some early miles on the flat windswept plains passing through Windsor and back to Loveland. Then it’s up Big Thompson Canyon where things will heat up. Split north onto Devils Gulch, the race’s last King of the Mountains competition, before hitting Estes Park and back down Big Thompson. Horsetooth Reservoir provides one last chance for aggression on its steep rollers. If no one gets away here, look for the sprinters to have their day. See the full route map.
The Finish Festival - Fort Collins
With thousands coming to Downtown Fort Collins to witness some of the best cyclists in the world and a festival to top it off we will see the kinds of foot traffic that every community would wish for!
The finish festival will be located on Walnut Street and Linden Street from 12-6pm, Saturday, August 24th. Here is what to look for:
- The Finish Line is located at Old Town Square and Mountain Ave (Just east of College Ave)
- USAPC Racers are projected to cross the finish line between 3:30PM & 4:45PM.
- Award ceremony will take place at the Awards/ Festival Stage located on Linden Street just after the winner crossed the finish line.
- Watch it on the Tour Tracker from USAPC or on one of the jumbos screens located in the finish festival area
- Over 70 booths featuring beverages, New Belgium beer, food and many bike-centric tents.
- The Awards/Festival Stage will be at the end of Linden Street with bands such as Denver favorite; The Jekylls and our local favorite; Mama Lenny and the Remedy. Music begins at 12pm and will play intermittently between all the activities and awards ceremonies.
- Kid’s Zone featuring inflatables, a huge slide, Strider Bicycles and family fun!
- Enjoy food vendors and the wide variety of restaurants located in historic Downtown.
- Beer and drinks available in the festival including New Belgium beer!
- Along the Mountain Ave portion of the course in Downtown spectators can also enjoy a professional bicycle stunt show, the Women’s Criterium and a kids’ Strider Bicycle Race.
- Women’s Criterium along the finish loop of the course, 12pm-1:00pm, awards to follow.
- Burlington Northern Railroad Experience – if you are a train buff come check out the display cars along Mason St between Olive St and Mountain Ave!
- 12-1pm - The Jekylls (60's style pop rock)
- 1:15pm Women's Criterium Awards
- 1:45 - 2:30pm - Fort Collins Kids' Bike Series Awards
- 3:00 - 4:00pm - Mama Lenny & the Remedy (Rock, Rhythms & Blues & Soul)
- 4:30 - 5:00pm - Pro Challenge Awards (post -race finish)
- 5:00 - 6:00pm - Mama Lenny & the Remedy (Rock, Rhythms & Blues & Soul)
- Ride your bike! Bike parking is located at Pine Street and also on Oak Street between Mathews St and Peterson St.
- Come join in the fun – ride your bike or walk along Mathews Street to enter the festival, or if you are coming from the north from College Ave. and Walnut St
- Car parking available along College Ave (College Ave temporarily not a through street), Laporte Ave Parking Garage, and along residential streets.
- See the website for recommended viewing areas and details– www.NoCoCycling.com
Each community will sport their designated color, based on the jersey in your leg of the race. Fort Collins is YELLOW! Show your Fort Collins pride and join the festivities wearing yellow!
We anticipate restaurants to see higher than usual traffic - be sure to staff well!
Retailers - this one day you have full permission without permits to set signs out, merchandise or whatever you would like to do to showcase your store and welcome the thousands coming to our community for this event.
To view street closures, click here.
Please note - College Avenue will be closed to through traffic but parking will be available.
If your car was towed for the USA PC, it has been relocated to the north east corner of North Howes Street and Maple Street. You must go to this lot to reclaim your vehicle.
Show your support by joining the USA Pro Cycling Challenge: Stage 6 Finish Facebook page and post a welcome to Fort Collins!